[OpenIndiana-discuss] 2021.04_rc1 on Z840 crashes after install

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 21 22:17:47 UTC 2021

 Thanks. I just finished logging all the directories, symlinks, files and file md5sums for the Live Image using find and have started another text install. When that completes I'll repeat the process on the installed image before I reboot. Then I'll do it again in single user mode on the reboot.

I very much doubt this is a serious flaw, but it is highly annoying. It would be a huge deterrent to a new user which I find of considerable concern.

Do you have any suggestions about why 2020.10 would not boot to the Desktop and 2021.04_rc1 would?

Reg

     On Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 05:00:59 PM CDT, Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith at oracle.com> wrote:

 On 4/21/21 2:31 PM, Reginald Beardsley wrote:
> The Xorg server is loading both the nvidia driver and the vesa driver. Is that
> likely to cause a crash? I don't understand what is causing it to load the vesa
> driver as it doesn't seem to find an xorg.conf file and uses a builtin.

When there is no xorg.conf, it's normal for Xorg to load multiple drivers
(usually including vesa) as part of the probe routines, and then once it's
found a driver to use, to unload the rest.  This shouldn't cause a crash.

    -Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
    Oracle Solaris Engineering - https://blogs.oracle.com/alanc