[OpenIndiana-discuss] The kiss of death

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 22 00:48:26 UTC 2021

 That is in contradiction to what Allan said, but I'll write an xorg.conf file by hand tomorrow. 8-9 hours of this is all I can stand. If I try to run longer, I make things worse rather than better.

I am doing a UEFI boot as it is a 4x 4 TB RAIDZ2 pool. The UEFI vs SMI boot would make a lot of sense. However, it still leaves the problem of 2020.10 crashing before reaching the desktop.

I want to resolve this. If it's not fixed, OI is dead. That would make me *very* unhappy.

I was quite stunned by the number of symlinks and *not* happy. I've done battle with profligate use of symlinks as bandaids too many times.

Reg

     On Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 07:09:00 PM CDT, Gary Mills <gary_mills at fastmail.fm> wrote:

 On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 11:29:55PM +0000, Reginald Beardsley via openindiana-discuss wrote:

> I'm trying to bring up OI on Oracle Solaris 11 certified hardware.
> 2020.10 crashes booting the Desktop Live Image.  The 2021.04_rc1
> Live Image works fine, but the installed image crashes on reboot.

I've seen this behavior before: you can boot from the install media
and even do an install with no problems, but the installed image fails
to boot fully.  It's caused by the VESA video driver, which will only
run correctly with a BIOS boot, not with a UEFI boot.  The installer
itself can be booted either way.

--
-Gary Mills-        -refurb-        -Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada-