[OpenIndiana-discuss] The kiss of death

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 22 13:26:09 UTC 2021

VESA *does* work with a UEFI boot. I had 2020.10 booting from a 4x 4 TB RAIDZ2 pool using the VESA driver before I tried to boot 2021.04_rc1.

On Thursday, April 22, 2021, 08:07:18 AM CDT, Gary Mills <gary_mills at fastmail.fm> wrote:

This is a known broken configuration of OI. It cannot work. The VESA
driver is a fall-back driver in Xorg. It only runs if the other
drivers all fail. Unfortunately, the VESA driver does not work with
a UEFI boot. As long as the nvidia driver succeeds, it will be
selected by Xorg, and VESA will never be used. The Xorg log will
contain this information.