[OpenIndiana-discuss] Panics but no dumps ???

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 22 17:32:41 UTC 2021

Because of a message about VTOCs and needing an EFI label I relabeled the disks, created a RAIDZ2 pool and installed to an existing pool.  I then booted single user, setup dump and swap.  It crashed but no dump.  Not even a panic message in messages.  A 2nd crash did write a panic message and "dumping to /dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/dump" and "dump succeeded".

But no files in /var/crash.  "savecore -v /dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/dump" generated "is not a directory".  No core file in /var/crash.

I've collected several core files, so I'm getting weirded out by non-repeatable behavior.

I'm currently installing to a single disk using the text installer.  If that crashes I'm going to try Debian 10.

Sigh...
Reg