[OpenIndiana-discuss] zpool import not possible after slot change

Hugh McIntyre lists at mcintyreweb.com
Thu Apr 22 18:12:58 UTC 2021

I had a similar error when moving some disks around in a case where
disks/pools moved from direct-attach SATA to/from a SAS expansion card.

The original problem I saw was "invalid vdev configuration" although
other cases reported data corruption.  You may also want to check
/var/adm/messages for errors such as:

Dec 23 08:56:57 zbackup zfs: [ID 101897 kern.notice] NOTICE:
vdev_disk_open /dev/dsk/c11t0d0s0: update devid from 'id1,sd at SATA_____ST40
00VN008-2DR1____________ZGY7RTPN/a' to
'id1,sd at SATA_____ST14000NM001G-2K____________ZL20DAZ9/a'
Dec 23 08:56:57 zbackup zfs: [ID 844310 kern.notice] NOTICE:
vdev_disk_open /dev/dsk/c11t0d0s0: devid mismatch: id1,sd at SATA_____ST4000V
N008-2DR1____________ZGY7RTPN/a !=
id1,sd at SATA_____ST14000NM001G-2K____________ZL20DAZ9/a

The problem seems to be caused because the system tries to open your
disk under id1,sd at n50000396b5803dd2/a, then sees the label pointing to
c8t2d0s0, at which point ZFS tries to open *that* disk and stops because
it decides that pool is corrupted (not "bkp1t").  Or vice versa on the
paths.

The solution is to import disks one at a time while making sure no disk
is attached at the old connection position.  Then export the disks one
at a time.  Finally attach and re-import everything once the
crossed-path disks are cleanly exported.

This does seem like a bug, but hopefully not an issue if you export the
pool rather than just disconnecting.

Hugh.