[OpenIndiana-discuss] The kiss of death

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe at math.utah.edu
Thu Apr 22 21:20:36 UTC 2021

Following my report earlier today of problems installing the latest
OpenIndiana ISO GUI installer on CentOS 7.9.2009, I next downloaded

    http://dlc.openindiana.org/isos/hipster/test/OI-hipster-text-20210405.iso

and that led to a successful installation on CentOS 7.9.2009 with
virt-manager 1.5.0 and qemu-system-x86_64 2.0.0.

There was one nit: at the point that it asks for a domain name, it
cuts it off at 15 characters, which is way too small.  See

    https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1035.txt
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostname
    https://web.archive.org/web/20190518124533/https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/?p=7873

The limit for the domain name field should be 252 (allowing a one-byte
count, one-byte hostname, and dot for the unqualified hostname), so
the total fully-qualified domain name string is less than 256 bytes.

In my case, my required domain name is "vm.math.utah.edu", one longer
than the OpenIndiana installer permits.  Presumably I can fix this
trivially in files in the /etc tree after installation.

During installation, I assigned a static IPv4 address, and when the
system later rebooted, it gave me a text console, but no startx or
xstart or xinit to bring up a window system.

I can successfully login to the new VM via ssh from another system.
Presumably, I could continue to configure this system, and perhaps
later, add enough X11 packages to get a desktop.  However, I'm
delaying that for now.

Next, I ran the GUI installer from

      http://dlc.openindiana.org/isos/hipster/test/OI-hipster-gui-20210405.iso

on Ubuntu 20.04, which has virt-manager 2.2.1 and qemu-system-x86_64
4.2.1, considerably newer than available on CentOS 7.9.2009.

The GUI installation proceeded as expected, with no mouse problems
like I met on CentOS, but it quickly reached a panel complaining about
two missing device drivers, highlighting them in pink:

    Audio   Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family)
	    High Definition Audio Controller        Misconfigured:[audiohd]

    Red Hat, Inc. Virtio console                    UNK Info

It will not proceed when I press the Install button, reporting in a
popup:

	Add Driver
	Driver not installed
	The driver package is empty
	Close

I have no idea what driver package is expected there, so there is
nothing to do but abort the installer.

I don't have audio on any of my 500+ VMs, and given that the installer
desktop screen looks normal, it is puzzling why the GUI installer
thinks a console driver is missing.

I may be able to repeat these experiments next week on VirtualBox on
another system on campus; this week, I working from home.