[OpenIndiana-discuss] The kiss of death

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Thu Apr 22 21:47:03 UTC 2021

In regard to: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] The kiss of death, Nelson H. F....:

> There was one nit: at the point that it asks for a domain name, it
> cuts it off at 15 characters, which is way too small.  See
>
>    https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1035.txt
>    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostname
>    https://web.archive.org/web/20190518124533/https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/?p=7873

I'm not positive about this, so take this with a grain of salt, but
I think it's asking not for DNS domain but instead the NIS domain.
Because of Solaris' lengthy history with NIS/YP, and because a lot of sites
never really went for the replacement (NIS+), I think it's asking for a
NIS domainname.

See domainname(1m) and defaultdomain(4) on an installed system.

Tim
Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure /
Division of Information Technology    /                701-231-1076 (Voice)