[OpenIndiana-discuss] Successfull reboot of 2021.04-rc1 on Z840 w/ K5000 :-)

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 23 21:07:19 UTC 2021

 I never had a problem before the Z840. My first Z400 never changed until the MB died except for converting to a RAIDZ1 array and a bump from 3x 1 TB to 3x 2 TB. I bought the other 3 about 5 years ago.

The installs I've done on my test Z400 have always gone smoothly, but the BIOS does some "magic" so you have to press F1 to continue the boot any time you change a disk. That's probably why I never saw it before. This BIOS doesn't do that. And I had loads of fun with it :-(

Sorting this cost me a lot, but at least it's a simple change to the install process to fix. I think the issue is the graphics card as everything looks fine in single user mode. It's when it attempts to start X that it crashed. The Solaris and Linux install tests showed how much superior Hipster is. I'm going to test rc1 on both the Z400 and Z840 to verify what change is needed in the installed image to prevent this happening.

It's very little effort for those who are set up to do test installs to provide test feedback to the developers. I'd like to see a regular program for doing that.

Courtesy of assistance from Andy Fiddaman on the illumos-dev list, I now have a disk with a 2020.10 based userland development environment. There's not a lot to it, so an oi-dev pkg should take care of making it easier for users to fix bugs they encounter. "pkg install oi-dev", locate the problem program and go to work.

Once I recover a bit from the drubbing the Z840 gave me, I'm going to fix the SEGVs in format(1m).

Have Fun!
Reg