[OpenIndiana-discuss] Initial install of 2020.10 on Z840 for production use

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 25 23:03:57 UTC 2021

 rhb at Z840:~$ fmdump -eVp
TIME CLASS
Apr 25 2021 04:49:11.489928901 ereport.io.pci.fabric
nvlist version: 0
 class = ereport.io.pci.fabric
 ena = 0x3c55f1898004c01
 detector = dev:////pci@0,0/pci8086,6f02@1
 bdf = 0x8
 device_id = 0x6f02
 vendor_id = 0x8086
 rev_id = 0x1
 dev_type = 0x40
 pcie_off = 0x90
 pcix_off = 0x0
 aer_off = 0x148
 ecc_ver = 0x0
 pci_status = 0x10
 pci_command = 0x47
 pci_bdg_sec_status = 0x0
 pci_bdg_ctrl = 0x3
 pcie_status = 0x0
 pcie_command = 0x27
 pcie_dev_cap = 0x8001
 pcie_adv_ctl = 0xa0
 pcie_ue_status = 0x0
 pcie_ue_mask = 0x180000
 pcie_ue_sev = 0x62030
 pcie_ue_hdr0 = 0x0
 pcie_ue_hdr1 = 0x0
 pcie_ue_hdr2 = 0x0
 pcie_ue_hdr3 = 0x0
 pcie_ce_status = 0x0
 pcie_ce_mask = 0x0
 pcie_rp_status = 0x0
 pcie_rp_control = 0x0
 pcie_adv_rp_status = 0x0
 pcie_adv_rp_command = 0x7
 pcie_adv_rp_ce_src_id = 0x0
 pcie_adv_rp_ue_src_id = 0x0
 remainder = 0x0
 severity = 0x1
 __ttl = 0x1
 __tod = 0x60853b17 0x1d33b8c5

Apr 25 2021 04:49:14.680709384 ereport.io.pci.fabric
nvlist version: 0
 class = ereport.io.pci.fabric
 ena = 0x3d1420fbc305801
 detector = dev:////pci@0,0/pci8086,8d10@1c
 bdf = 0xe0
 device_id = 0x8d10
 vendor_id = 0x8086
 rev_id = 0xd5
 dev_type = 0x40
 pcie_off = 0x40
 pcix_off = 0x0
 aer_off = 0x0
 ecc_ver = 0x0
 pci_status = 0x10
 pci_command = 0x47
 pci_bdg_sec_status = 0x0
 pci_bdg_ctrl = 0x3
 pcie_status = 0x10
 pcie_command = 0x7
 pcie_dev_cap = 0x8000
 pcie_rp_status = 0x0
 pcie_rp_control = 0x0
 remainder = 0x0
 severity = 0x1
 __ttl = 0x1
 __tod = 0x60853b1a 0x2892cd08

Apr 25 2021 04:49:14.717352076 ereport.io.pci.fabric
nvlist version: 0
 class = ereport.io.pci.fabric
 ena = 0x3d16501b4705801
 detector = dev:////pci@0,0/pci8086,8d10@1c
 bdf = 0xe0
 device_id = 0x8d10
 vendor_id = 0x8086
 rev_id = 0xd5
 dev_type = 0x40
 pcie_off = 0x40
 pcix_off = 0x0
 aer_off = 0x0
 ecc_ver = 0x0
 pci_status = 0x10
 pci_command = 0x47
 pci_bdg_sec_status = 0x0
 pci_bdg_ctrl = 0x3
 pcie_status = 0x10
 pcie_command = 0x7
 pcie_dev_cap = 0x8000
 pcie_rp_status = 0x0
 pcie_rp_control = 0x0
 remainder = 0x0
 severity = 0x1
 __ttl = 0x1
 __tod = 0x60853b1a 0x2ac1ec8c

Apr 25 2021 06:08:40.003509148 ereport.io.pci.fabric
nvlist version: 0
 class = ereport.io.pci.fabric
 ena = 0x1962d8181400001
[...]
 __tod = 0x60854db8 0x358b9c

Apr 25 2021 06:09:41.850910327 ereport.io.pci.fabric
nvlist version: 0
 class = ereport.io.pci.fabric
 ena = 0x27c93c883000c01
 detector = dev:////pci@0,0/pci8086,8d10@1c
 bdf = 0xe0
 device_id = 0x8d10
 vendor_id = 0x8086
 rev_id = 0xd5
 dev_type = 0x40
 pcie_off = 0x40
 pcix_off = 0x0
 aer_off = 0x0
 ecc_ver = 0x0
 pci_status = 0x10
 pci_command = 0x47
 pci_bdg_sec_status = 0x0
 pci_bdg_ctrl = 0x3
 pcie_status = 0x10
 pcie_command = 0x7
 pcie_dev_cap = 0x8000
 pcie_rp_status = 0x0
 pcie_rp_control = 0x0
 remainder = 0x0
 severity = 0x1
 __ttl = 0x1
 __tod = 0x60854df5 0x32b7dc77

Apr 25 2021 06:09:41.887552857 ereport.io.pci.fabric
nvlist version: 0
 class = ereport.io.pci.fabric
 ena = 0x27cb6ba74800c01
 detector = dev:////pci@0,0/pci8086,8d10@1c
 bdf = 0xe0
 device_id = 0x8d10
 vendor_id = 0x8086
 rev_id = 0xd5
 dev_type = 0x40
 pcie_off = 0x40
 pcix_off = 0x0
 aer_off = 0x0
 ecc_ver = 0x0
 pci_status = 0x10
 pci_command = 0x47
 pci_bdg_sec_status = 0x0
 pci_bdg_ctrl = 0x3
 pcie_status = 0x10
 pcie_command = 0x7
 pcie_dev_cap = 0x8000
 pcie_rp_status = 0x0
 pcie_rp_control = 0x0
 remainder = 0x0
 severity = 0x1
 __ttl = 0x1
 __tod = 0x60854df5 0x34e6fb59

rhb at Z840:~$

     On Sunday, April 25, 2021, 04:27:12 PM CDT, Joshua M. Clulow <josh at sysmgr.org> wrote:

 On Sun, 25 Apr 2021 at 13:46, Reginald Beardsley via
openindiana-discuss <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:
> I've done a fresh install using the text installer on a 14 core E5-2680 V4 system with 72 GB of ECC DRAM and a 4x 4 TB 7200 rpm RAIDZ2 array.  With reconfigure set on the post install boot it all came up fine.

It's possible that the installer is not creating the /reconfigure file
in the image that is being unpacked?  It would be worth checking to
make sure.  The first boot in a new machine after the install is
complete should always be a reconfigure reboot, even though that means
less and less these days.

> The prior install of 2021.04-rc1 gave ~220 MB/s for reads and writes and 87 MB/s for a file copy on a 3 disk RAIDZ1 for a 1 TB file size.  A dev/zero write is running very much slower than 2021.04-rc1.  On that it took a little over an hour.  This write has been running for almost 4 hrs.
>
> With a dd write of 1 TB of  /dev/zero to a file running, the GUI response is appallingly slow.  Minutes to bring up Firefox. 18 seconds to open a MATE terminal.  Unblanking the screen took almost 1 minute to bring up the screensaver login.
>
> Top shows the ARC consuming 52 GB and about 10 GB free with the CPU 95% idle.  This seems to me very strange for the response I'm getting.
>
> Relative to my Z400s or my NL40 this thing is a complete dog. It's about what an 11/780 which is badly thrashing would do.  I assume that there are system  parameters which need to be modified.  Reducing the size of the ARC seems the most probable first step.

I would not assume that tuneables is the answer.  You should look at
what the system is doing when it's performing poorly.  First, I'd take
a look with coarse-grained tools; e.g., mpstat, vmstat -p, iostat,
etc.  If the system is slower than you expect it will likely be
because of some sort of resource saturation; whether that's because
the CPUs are all fully busy, or because of memory pressure and paging,
or perhaps because everything is being serialised behind some common
lock.  Ultimately there will be a reason that it's slow in this
particular case, and it isn't generally a good assumption that it's
just some tuneable that is set incorrectly.

> For my prior testing I only had 8 GB of DRAM on a single DIMM.  I installed 4x of the fastest new Micron 16 GB DIMMs as specified by the Crucial website plus the 8 GB DIMM it came with.

I suspect it would be best to use only one size and speed of DIMM in
the system at a time.

> "mdump -e" shows no events except for 3x pci.fabric events per boot which I assume are related to missing device drivers.

I would not assume that.  What are the fabric events?  Can you get
more detail with "fmdump -eVp"?

Cheers.

--
Joshua M. Clulow