[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI-hipster-gui-20210405.iso and OVirt/QEMU status report

Till Wegmueller toasterson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 19:10:43 UTC 2021

Hi Nelson, thank you for testing

Considering Graphics card support within illumos, I doubt you will be
very happy with desktop components on any Virtual Machine Platform. We
do not have the advanced virtio Graphics Card drivers Linux has so you
will always have a bad time with desktop on anything other than nvidia
and certain intel at the moment.

Vmware has a Graphics card model which is part of Upstream Quemu which
was reported to work well, if you have that as an options use that.

As for the Usage on Virtual Machines. 90% of that will be server related
tasks without GUI. Text installer will be much simpler to install on a
VM Platform like oVirt.

I saw in an earlier mail, that you mentioned Text Garbage spam in the
VM. That was due to SPICE protocol (the display share protocol in
libvirt/RedHat) using the Scroll Lock Key as a Keepalive signal. As
illumos is a Solaris derivative OS it never had support for the Scroll
lock key as there was never any keyboard connected to it that had that
key. We have fixed this in 2018. Since then illumos ignores that key.

Virtualbox is supported and regularly tested as part of the vagrant VM
releases. Same goes for KVM/Quemu. For GUI on Virtualbox, you will need
to install the Virtualbox OSE extensions packaged in OI. And you must
use the OpenSolaris VM profile. Otherwise Graphics glitches and other
problems occur.

-Till