[OpenIndiana-discuss] X startup/shutdown questions

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 27 21:31:46 UTC 2021

What service starts the MATE environment?  I've been unable to locate what starts that.  And generally unable to determine how exactly what any service does is specified.

I'd expected "init 2" in single user mode to take me to multi-user console mode, but it did not.  However, I was able to disable lightdm, come up to a multiuser console, login and start X and twm using startx(1) and the .xinitrc file on the command line.  However, when I exited twm it did not return to the login console.  What controls that?  Do I need something in .xinitrc?  I never did it that way but I remember it could be done.

I haven't messed with this in 15+ years.  I'm happy to say it appears that significant progress has been made.  The implementation of CDE was rather painful as was Motif.  So much so that I've been disinclined to even look at it for a long time.  Kudos to those who fixed it.

Firefox under twm did generate a GDK resource unavailable error in a short test, but that's mild compared to what I recall seeing if I started Netscape outside of the dtwm environment.  It almost certainly had to be dumping core for me to labor through starting separate window managers on each screen.

Reg