[OpenIndiana-discuss] Why don't Schily-Tools be integrated into Illumos?

hung.nguyengia hung.nguyengia at protonmail.com
Wed Aug 4 02:04:41 UTC 2021

His OS is outdated:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/schillix/

https://sourceforge.net/projects/schillix-on/

He stated: SchilliX-ON is an attempt to continue the OpenSolaris-ONNV development as OSS project

This is practically what the Illumos project is doing? Why don't co-operate but stay on his own? I don't know his reasons. The only thing I know is his OS is extremely outdated, not even support root on ZFS out of the box:

(can't find the link, perhaps he moved it since the last time I looked at it)

Yes, it's all his choice to work alone and I respect that. But he has really interesting project:

http://schilytools.sourceforge.net/

Among other useless outdated tools, these are the gems:

http://cdrtools.sourceforge.net/private/cdrecord.html

http://schilytools.sourceforge.net/bosh.html

http://schilytools.sourceforge.net/sunpromake.html

Should his dmake replace our dmake and his bosh replace our bash?

I think the reason blocked it is he requiring his own build tools, his own make implementation in order to build the whole Schily-Tools and can't build a particular small tool of the collection using just standard gnu make.

Apart from that, his bosh is great. It's CDDL-ed so it's a bit trouble to use as the default shell on other platforms but it's a non-problem on Illumos anyway. I tried to build https://pkgsrc.se/shells/bosh via pkgsrc on Linux and so far this shell worked fine, could replace bash for my daily use.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.