[OpenIndiana-discuss] Installing on Intel B460M chipset intel i5-10400F

Carl Brewer carl at bl.echidna.id.au
Fri Aug 13 05:11:42 UTC 2021

I now have a brand spanking new Intel i5-10400F CPU, plugged into a
Gigabyte Aorus B460M "pro" motherboard, with an Nvidia 1030 graphics
card and 32GB of non-ECC RAM in two DIMMs, all good.

It has a WD "Black" 1TB HDD that I will be using at first to set it all
up on.  If I can get it to install nicely, I will probably add some
SSD's and then use ZFS root with a mirror, most likely. The box will be
used to host Virtualbox guests, not high CPU or disk loading.

This thread is to track installing OI Hipster on it.

First up, it all works according to the BIOS.  Got it plugged into a USB
keyboard & mouse, and an HDMI monitor.  I can set the BIOS up. Good.

I grabbed the Hipster USB boot image from
http://dlc.openindiana.org/isos/hipster/20210430/OI-hipster-gui-20210430.usb

My desktop machine is windows 10/64, so I used these instructions :

http://docs.openindiana.org/handbook/getting-started/#creating-a-hipster-usb-drive

"method 1"

ie: use win32diskimager (version 1.0.0), default settings.

I've turned off "secure boot" on the new machine's BIOS. The BIOS is a
PITA, but I got it to see the USB drive after some fiddling.

Good news - it boots off the USB drive.  Not sure if it will work with
the graphics card yet, but we'll see.