[OpenIndiana-discuss] Installing on Intel B460M chipset intel i5-10400F

Carl Brewer carl at bl.echidna.id.au
Fri Aug 13 08:13:21 UTC 2021

The furthest I got was to use the minimal install 20210430 USB image, it
booted, albeit slowly.

I ran the boot in verbose mode, it got as far as prompting for the type
of keyboard, which I confirmed as US English (47).

It then sat there, I left it for 30 minutes, no change.  The screen
responds to keyboard input, by echoing the keystrokes, but ^C and ^Z do
nothing more than echo to the screen.

Since it's on a standalone machine, I can't easily show the screen, I
did take a photo of it though, but not good list manners to post it. It
found the HDD (WD black 1TB) and didn't seem upset about it, but there
was no more verbosity to see what it was hung up on.  I don't expect 30
minutes was insufficient time for it to do whatever it was trying to
do.  Text mode, so I don't think the Nvidia card would have made much
difference?

I'm not going to give up on it, but I need some guidance as to what to
try next. OI and OpenSolaris have been my go to for rock solid platforms
for the best part of 20 years now. I don't want to give up and resort to
some flaky linux distro just to get ZFS and Virtualbox running!

"help"

Thank you!

Carl