[OpenIndiana-discuss] SSDs for OI hipster ZFS root mirror?

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Sat Aug 14 06:45:14 UTC 2021

In regard to: [OpenIndiana-discuss] SSDs for OI hipster ZFS root mirror?,...:

> I don't think there's any status monitoring software for them that would run
> on OI?

I would certainly give smartmontools a try.  Most decent SSDs should
support SMART reporting, as long as they're not hiding behind a controller
like a PERC.

The same tools (slightly newer version on a Linux box I have access to)
can report a lot of information about some Intel SSDs we're using there.
I would assume the same would be true for Samsung SSDs on OI.

Keep in mind that if the smartmontools doesn't have an entry in its
database for your particular drive, some of the info won't be "scaled"
correctly, but the general SMART info should still be correct.

Tim
Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure /
Division of Information Technology    /                701-231-1076 (Voice)