[OpenIndiana-discuss] SSDs for OI hipster ZFS root mirror?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sat Aug 14 13:37:40 UTC 2021

On Sat, 14 Aug 2021, Carl Brewer wrote:

> Rather than use a couple of 1TB WD red pros or Blacks, is it a good choice to
> run a ZFS root mirror on a couple of SSDs? I figure I'd only need 250MB or
> so, all the data etc will be on spinning drives in a raidZ-something array,
> the root system - apart from swap, will be pretty static read-mostly
>
> So I'm considering running a couple of Samsung 250GB SSDs, any thoughts or
> war stories before I go and buy them? Is it better to stagger them in terms
> of age, or different brands/models so they don't both run out of writes at
> the same time?  Is this setting me up for a disaster in 3 years, or will it
> be predictable and easy to maintain?

As long as the BIOS is happy and finds the devices, there should be no
problems.  There are not normally a lot of writes to the ZFS root
pool.  It is wise to make sure that the type of product you choose
will still exist in the future in case you need to replace it.  SSDs
may fail for reasons other than excessive writes.

I am using a pair of Samsung 250GB M.2 SATA SSDs for boot for many
years already (since 2015) with no issues.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
Public Key,     http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/public-key.txt