[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI Hipster becomes unreachable over network after a certain length of uptime

Judah Richardson judahrichardson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 01:47:00 UTC 2021

I've been having an odd problem over the past few months in which my OI
Hipster installation becomes unreachable over the network after a certain
length of uptime. I haven't been able to determine exactly what this length
is, but I usually become aware of it when restic jobs that use that machine
as a repo start failing.

When it happens, OI's DE network icon says all is well, and the LEDs on the
NIC Ethernet port as well as corresponding switch port are blinking.
Rebooting makes the machine reachable again, but the problem reoccurs later.

The machine itself is pretty old so the NIC might be going bad, or maybe
the Ethernet cable is to blame (odd, but Ethernt cables apparently fail in
very strange ways), but I'd like to rule out anything amiss in the OS
itself.

Any logs or anything like that in particular I should take a look at?