[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI Hipster becomes unreachable over network after a certain length of uptime

Stephan Althaus Stephan.Althaus at Duedinghausen.eu
Wed Dec 22 10:02:13 UTC 2021

On 12/21/21 03:36, Carl Brewer wrote:
> On 21/12/2021 12:47 pm, Judah Richardson wrote:
>> I've been having an odd problem over the past few months in which my OI
>> Hipster installation becomes unreachable over the network after a
>> certain
>> length of uptime. I haven't been able to determine exactly what this
>> length
>> is, but I usually become aware of it when restic jobs that use that
>> machine
>> as a repo start failing.
>
> What version of OI?
> I have an old one that drops off the net after a while, running :
>
> SunOS hostie 5.11 illumos-5d539a8 i86pc i386 i86pc Solaris
>
> That's from :
> oi151a8-dev          NR     /          18.1G static 2013-08-12 22:58
>
> It seemed to be related to traffic, some counter somewhere overflowing
> - since I took a bunch of Virtualbox VM's off it, it's been a lot more
> connectable. Now it's just a LAN fileserver. It's gone from losing
> network once every week or two, to, I can't remember when it last lost
> network.
>
> Haven't had any problems with newer OI's. As a workaround, I had a
> script that rebooted it when it couldn't get a ping response.  Not
> ideal, but it worked!
>

> Carl

Hello!

I had problems on a OI box running 2 zones with exclusive network, fixed
IP's IPV4 only. I had reconfigured the network 2 years ago i think
(don't know the exact old config), and updated every about half a year
.... it seems to be solved.

I had this 'solution', too: "As a workaround, I had a script that
rebooted it when it couldn't get a ping response.  Not ideal, but it
worked! " :-D

Stephan