[OpenIndiana-discuss] A question about the Mate update

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Fri Dec 31 03:09:27 UTC 2021

In regard to: [OpenIndiana-discuss] A question about the Mate update, Jason...:

> Why are there so many sockets opened in ~/.cache by :
>
> gnome/accessibility/at-spi2-atk 2.24.1-2020.0.1.0          i--
> gnome/accessibility/at-spi2-core 2.24.1-2020.0.1.1          i--
>

> drwx------   2 agrellum staff          3 Dec 30 20:04 at-spi2-7FDXE1
> drwx------   2 agrellum staff          3 Dec 30 20:03 at-spi2-7Y13E1
> drwx------   2 agrellum staff          3 Dec 30 20:03 at-spi2-BA43E1
> drwx------   2 agrellum staff          3 Dec 30 20:03 at-spi2-BIX4E1
> drwx------   2 agrellum staff          3 Dec 30 20:03 at-spi2-LIN3E1
> drwx------   2 agrellum staff          3 Dec 30 20:03 at-spi2-MQ43E1
> drwx------   2 agrellum staff          3 Dec 30 20:03 at-spi2-N463E1
> drwx------   2 agrellum staff          3 Dec 30 20:03 at-spi2-P1XZE1
> drwx------   2 agrellum staff          3 Dec 30 20:03 at-spi2-TM23E1
> drwx------   2 agrellum staff          3 Dec 30 20:03 at-spi2-Z1I3E1
> drwx------   2 agrellum staff          3 Dec 30 20:03 at-spi2-ZCP4E1

Hmmm, I didn't notice that MATE was doing that.

Doing some quick tracing with truss, virtually every MATE component is
creating one of these directories and a socket when it's launched.

I don't know if they're having problems communicating the other
accessibility components, but it kind of seems that way.

If you don't use any assistive technology, you can add

 	NO_AT_BRIDGE=1; export NO_AT_BRIDGE

to your .profile and it will stop all of the MATE components (and probably
other stuff) from using the accessibility bridge.

That's at most a workaround.

I'll do some research and see if I can find any other reports of this for
MATE 1.26 or other software.

Thanks for reporting it!

Tim
Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure /
Division of Information Technology    /                701-231-1076 (Voice)