[OpenIndiana-discuss] catching hell getting booted

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Wed Feb 3 21:11:31 UTC 2021

Toomas Soome via openindiana-discuss
<openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> writes:

[...]

>> So, I'm hoping someone here will have sage advice about booting from
>> network somehow.
>>
>> Is there a way to circumvent both usb and DVD boots and do something
>> over the network to get oi installed?
>>

> What exactly is happening? do you have any logs, screenshots etc?

Well no, what's happening happens before any of that can take place.

The DVD or USB install  media is ignored.  And eventually the ubuntu
with zfs on root comes up as it is installed on HDD,

No logs, and screen shot would show a blank screen

The install media being ignored is done silently.

The hellish part is that I have tested the same media (both usb and
dvd) (I mean the very exact same media, not similar or whatever) on
another host (hp Z800)and they work as expected.  That is, the host
comes up displaying the install media ready to go.

Of course I have checked and rechecked that the boot setting matches
the selected media.  IE, usb at the top or Cdrom at the top.

I've tried with the usb media in every available port with no change.

Checked the boot order again and again

Another kicker is that sometime a few yrs ago I installed oi with one
or the other of usb or dvd.  Which one is lost to the mists of poor
memory.

Further, recently I gave up in disgust on oi and used an usb stick with
ubuntu install media, and it worked on the first try.

Now, can you speak to any possibilities of a network install?