[OpenIndiana-discuss] catching hell getting booted

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Thu Feb 4 00:31:02 UTC 2021

Toomas Soome via openindiana-discuss
<openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> writes:

>> On 3. Feb 2021, at 23:11, Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> wrote:
>>
>> Toomas Soome via openindiana-discuss
>> <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> writes:
>>
>> [...]
>>>>

>>> What exactly is happening? do you have any logs, screenshots etc?
>>
>> Well no, what's happening happens before any of that can take place.
>>
>> The DVD or USB install  media is ignored.  And eventually the ubuntu
>> with zfs on root comes up as it is installed on HDD,
>

> UEFI or BIOS boot? for UEFI, we do not support secure boot. Not yet
> anyhow. If you can get to UEFI shell, you can start loader manually
> from command line.

No UEFI

> for usb, are you using .iso or .usb image? How do you write to stick?
> note, just dd is enough, no previously used header file and usbcopy
> script is needed.

I tried both iso and usb. Tried *.iso writing to stick on windows with
Rufus. I've forgotten how USB was done. ... its been a while ago.
There was another tool whos name I've forgotten that was recommended by
someone on this list .. that was supposed to superceed usbcopy
The one thing I did not do is dd as you suggest.

It just came to me to today to try again {hence my post} ... as I'm
getting a bit fed up with the linux zfs. So, I have forgotten some of
the bits involved. All I did this time was try a usb stick that I know
for certain will boot my HP Z800 into OI live installer.  But it was
totally ignored... that is what prompted my recent post.

You mentioned `dd' And somewhere I remember it being to a Raw port
.. I think you might mean performed on OI.

I don't have an OI host running currently but is it not possible to do
the dd bit from linux or even windows?

Would the `dd' method clear out any guff on a new unused usb stick and
thereby do a clean burn?

It would tickle the heck out of me to finally get a working usb stick.

I was considering attempting to install omnios.
The reason I think it might work, is that even though I could not get
the right combination to successfully boot into our IO install media,
I found that on the very first attempt with ubuntu.iso burned to USB
with rufus, I succeeded in installing ubuntu with zfs on root.

I'm half of a mind to risk another ruined usb stick since I bought a
even dozen for the last go around... (I ruined 5 before calling it
quits last time)

Any more instructions I need to know before attempting to burn one
with dd on linux OS?