[OpenIndiana-discuss] RAIDZ issue

Toomas Soome tsoome at me.com
Wed Feb 17 10:25:12 UTC 2021

hi!

From your screenshot, you do get 5 disks recognized (disk0 - disk4), that means, those are disks you can use for booting. It *may* be the limit is higher with UEFI boot.

You can check the number of disks while booting from usb/cd, press esc to get out of boot menu, and enter: lsdev -v, loader will report only those disk devices which BIOS can see, and only those devices can be used for booting.

Since you are writing to OI list (and not freebsd), there is another way to check; in illumos you can get list of BIOS accessible disks with:

$ prtconf -v | grep biosdev
        name='biosdev-0x83' type=byte items=588
        name='biosdev-0x82' type=byte items=588
        name='biosdev-0x81' type=byte items=588
        name='biosdev-0x80' type=byte items=588

in this example, the system does have 4 BIOS-visible disk devices, and incidentally those are all disks this system does have, and I have:

tsoome at beastie:/code$ zpool status
  pool: rpool
 state: ONLINE
  scan: resilvered 1,68T in 0 days 10:10:07 with 0 errors on Fri Oct 25 05:05:34 2019
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        rpool       ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c3t0d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c3t1d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c3t3d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c3t4d0  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors
tsoome at beastie:/code$

Please note; in theory, if you have 5 visible disks, you could create boot pool by having those 5 disks for data + parity disks, but such configuration would not be advisable, because if one data disk will get an issue, then you can not boot (unless you swap around physical disks).

Therefore, the suggestion would be to verify, how many disks your system BIOS or UEFI can see, and plan the boot pool accordingly.

rgds,
toomas