[OpenIndiana-discuss] RAIDZ issue

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 17 18:10:32 UTC 2021

Thanks. I'm not expecting to have a reason to build a new OI system, but good to know.

I set up a Windows 7 Pro / Debian 9.3 dual boot a couple of days ago as a concession to all the EE software that only is available for one of those two platforms.

At present my biggest issue is some bad DRAM in my Solaris 10 system. If it's been up for a couple of days or longer a scrub will cause a kernel panic. After I reboot, a scrub will complete with no errors. Other than getting a new DIMM and moving it from slot to slot until the problem goes away I can't think of any way to locate the bad DIMM. I don't know of a program that will write a pattern to memory and then scan it a few days later for errors.

Is there a traditional bare metal monitor such as was common in the past? It's obviously possible, but it's hard to justify all the time it would take to learn the details. Though now that I think about it, I might be able to hack the memtest program.

I ran into a similar issue on my 3/60 running 4.1.1. I built a stripped kernel to save memory. But if I accessed the 1/4" tape after it had run for a day or more it would kernel panic. Immediately after a boot tape access was fine. After a lot of head scratching I went back to using the generic kernel which mapped the bad DRAM to some device I did not have.

Have Fun!
Reg

     On Wednesday, February 17, 2021, 11:30:05 AM CST, John D Groenveld <groenveld at acm.org> wrote:

 In message <272389262.2537371.1613575739056 at mail.yahoo.com>, Reginald Beardsley
 via openindiana-discuss writes:
>I was not aware that it was possible to boot from RAIDZ. It wasn't possible wh

With the current text installer, escape to a shell.
Confirm the disks are all BIOS accessible:
# prtconf -v | grep biosdev
Create the pool with EFI boot:
# zpool create -B rpool raidz c0t0d0 c0t1d0 c0t3d0
Exit and return to the installer and then F5 Install to an Existing Pool

John
groenveld at acm.org