[OpenIndiana-discuss] RAIDZ issue

Thebest videos sri.chityala504 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 18:49:45 UTC 2021

NOTE: we are getting issues after shutdown , then remove ISO file from
virtualBox then power on the server. if we attach an ISO file we are safe
with our Zpool stuff. and we are creating boot,swap,root partitions on each
disks.
I'm not able to understand First 5 disks are ONLINE and remaining disks are
UNKNOWN state after power off and then power on
actually our requirement is to create RAIDZ1/RAIDZ2 with single vdev(upto 5
disks per vdev) if more than 5 or less than 10 disks then those disks(after
5disks) are spare part shouldn't be included any vdev. if we have
multiple's of 5 disks then we need to create multiple vdev in a pool
example: RAIDZ2 : if total 7 disks then 5 disks as single vdev, remaining 2
disks as spare parts nothing to do. and if we have 12 disks intotal then 2
vdevs (5 disks per vdev) so total 10 disks in 2 vdevs remaining 2disks as
spare.
RAIDZ1: if we have only 3 disks then we should create RAIDZ1

Here, we wrote a zfs script for our requirements(but currently testing with
manual commands). We are able to createRAIDZ2 with a single vdev in a pool
for 5 disks. it works upto 9 disks but if we have 10 disks then 2 vdevs are
created after power on the same error coming like zfs: i/o error all copies
blocked.
I was testing the RAIDZ like I'm creating 2 vdevs which have 3 disks per
each vdev.its working fine even after shutdown and power on(as says that we
are removing the ISO file after shutdown).
but the issue is when we create 2 vdevs with 4 disks per each vdev.this
time we are not getting error its giving options like we press esc button
what kind of options we see those options are coming. if i type lsdev -v(as
you said before). first 5 disks are online and the remaining 3 disks are
UNKNOWN.

FInally, I need to setup RAIDZ configuration with 5 multiples of disks per
each vdev.  please look once again below commands im using to create
partitions and RAIDZ configuration

NOTE: below gpart commands are running for each disk

gpart create -s gpt ada0

gpart add -a 4k -s 512K -t freebsd-boot ada0

gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ada0

gpart add -a 1m -s 2G -t freebsd-swap -l swap0 ada0

gpart add -a 1m -t freebsd-zfs -l disk0 ada0

zpool create -o altroot=/mnt datapool raidz2 ada0p3 ada1p3 ada2p3
ada3p3  raidz2 ada4p3 ada5p3 ada6p3 ada7p3

zfs create -o mountpoint=/ -o canmount=noauto datapool/boot

mount -t zfs datapool/boot /mnt

mount_cd9660 /dev/cd0 /media

cp -r /media/* /mnt/.

zpool set bootfs=datapool/boot datapool

shutdown and remove ISO and power on the server

kindly suggest me steps if im wrong