[OpenIndiana-discuss] DNS problem

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 20 15:28:32 UTC 2021

I'd been using a Linksys WRT54GL  and DD-WRT for 12 years without any problems.  A few days ago I started having issues of  not being able to properly making connections.  It might work fine for an hour and then web sites would time out on access attempts.

I have replaced it with a Linksys N600. That is working fine from Debian 9.3, but not with Hipster 2017.10.

If I do "nslookup login.yahoo.com" I get the usual response from the N600.  But if I attempt "traceroute login.yahoo.com" I get an "unknown host login.yahoo.com" .

"traceroute <ip addr>" works as expected.

I'm *very* rusty at this as I set everything up many years ago. I suspect the issue is a conflict with nwamd.  For Hipster I configured  a static LAN ip address in the traditional fashion.

I have the following settings:

/etc/hostname.<nic>
<static 192.168 ip addr>

/etc/defaultrouter
gateway <gateway 192.168. ip addr>

/etc/resolv.conf
nameserver <gateway 192.168  ip addr>

As an experiment I removed all those but nothing changed.

What things might I have misconfigured to create these symptoms?

Thanks,
Reg

I am *not* a fan of "auto magical" anything.  I've been administering my own SunOS systems for 30 years starting with a 3/60 and 4.1.1a.  So it's natural for me to continue using the pattern set by that.