[OpenIndiana-discuss] Installing grub on a zfs mirror rpool

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 20 23:09:13 UTC 2021

My HP Z400 based Solaris 10 u8 system had some sort of disk system fault.  It has a 100 GB 3 way mirror in s0 for rpool and the rest of each  2 TB disk in s1 forming a RAIDZ1.

After reseating all the cables I was able to boot to a single user shell using the installation DVD and scrub both pools with no errors reported, though a small part of the rpool mirror was resilvered.

However, I can't get the system to boot from the hard drives. I've tried using installgrub but had no success.

What are the correct stage1 and stage2 files to use for a zfs mirrored root pool?  Should I install grub on all 3 disks?

The presence of zfs_stage1_5 makes it very ambiguous.  I can find no explanation of what that is for.

I've continued to use u8 because I prefer using twm and I've never figured out how to make OI do that. This system does not have internet access and is set up for software development and scientific work.  All of the systems are connected to an 8 port KVM switch.

I use OI for my internet access and Windows 7 Pro and Debian 9.3 on a 3rd system to run electronics engineering codes which are not available for any other platforms.  I tried using VirtualBox for Windows on OI, but it was intolerably slow.

Reg