[OpenIndiana-discuss] safely cleanup pkg cache?

Andreas Wacknitz A.Wacknitz at gmx.de
Sun Feb 21 08:17:17 UTC 2021

Am 21.02.21 um 09:10 schrieb Toomas Soome via openindiana-discuss:

>> On 21. Feb 2021, at 08:45, Tim Mooney via openindiana-discuss <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:
>>

>> All-
>>
>> My space-constrained OI hipster build VM is running low on space.
>>
>> It looks like either pkg caching or pkg history is using quite a lot of
>> space:
>>
>> $ pfexec du -ks /var/pkg/* | sort -n
>> 0       /var/pkg/gui_cache
>> 0       /var/pkg/lock
>> 0       /var/pkg/modified
>> 0       /var/pkg/ssl
>> 6       /var/pkg/pkg5.image
>> 955     /var/pkg/lost+found
>> 5557    /var/pkg/history
>> 23086   /var/pkg/license
>> 203166  /var/pkg/cache
>> 241106  /var/pkg/state
>> 9271692 /var/pkg/publisher
>>
>> What is the correct, safe way to clean up anything from pkg that I don't
>> need?
>>
>> The closest information I've found is an article from Oracle on "Minimize
>> Stored Image Metadata":
>>
>> 	https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E53394_01/html/E54739/minvarpkg.html
>>
>> This suggests changing the 'flush-content-cache-on-success' property
>> to true (OI defaults to False).
>>
>> Is that it, or are there other (generally safe) cleanup steps that I could
>> take too?  Is 'pkg purge-history' a good idea?
>>
> do not forget to check beadm list -a / zfs list -t snapshot
>
> rgds,
> toomas

I have a question regarding beadm destroy here:
I do regularly destroy old BEs with "pfexec beadm destroy <BE name>"
keeping only a handful BEs.
Checking with "zfs list -t snapshot" shows that this won't destroy most
(all?) related snapshots, eg. it typically frees only some mb.
Thus, my rpool is filling over the time and I have to manually destroy
zfs snapshots that belong to deleted BEs.
Is that an intentional behavior of beadm destroy and is there something
how I can enhance on my procedure?

Regards,
Andreas