[OpenIndiana-discuss] Installing grub on a zfs mirror rpool

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 22 16:52:21 UTC 2021

 Well, close, but not quite done :-(

I booted the single user shell from the install DVD, used "zpool status" to verify the disk names and then did "installgrub -m stage1 stage2 /dev/rdsk/????" for the 3 devices in the rpool mirror.

Did an "init 5" which flashed some message I couldn't read before it was gone. I then removed the DVD and it came up to the grub menu. I took the standard multi-user boot option, but it hung with an nVidia splash screen. I was able to shut it down cleanly by pressing the power button.

I rebooted via grub to single user mode. "zpool status" showed the root pool as corrupted which was not the case when I booted from the install DVD previously. I started a scrub and it crashed. I've rebooted single user and the scrub is running on the root pool.

This system has had an issue that if I did a scrub it would kernel panic, but after I booted it would finish the scrub with no issues. The symptom suggests a bad DIMM, but short of simply replacing them all or exhaustive substitution over many days no idea of how to fix that.

After the initial failure I scrubbed all the pools using the install DVD shell and all reported no errors. So I'm still hopeful that I'll recover OK. I've been extremely impressed by ZFS over the years.

Rather clearly I need to devote more time to my sys admin chores. Dual processor Z6x0 and Z8x0 systems have become quite cheap so I think I may get one of those and set up a RAIDZ configuration using 5 disks.

Thanks again,
Reg