[OpenIndiana-discuss] SMF and X11 startup problem

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 23 20:36:10 UTC 2021

I'm having problems getting SMF to start X properly.

I did

svcadm enable -r /application/graphical-login/cde-login

but it doesn't get past the nVidia splash screen.

I've loaded the entire manual set on a 12.9" iPad Pro which has got to be the coolest solution to the problem of computer system documentation ever.  Previously in this state the soft power switch would shut the system down, but this time it's not working and I was forced to bring it down by holding the button in.

After rebooting to single user mode via grub

svcs -xv

doesn't produce any output.

svcs -a | grep login

shows that /application/graphical-login/cde-login:default is disabled.

When I look in /var/adm/messages it shows the ipp-listener, wbem and cde-login have timed out.  At the moment I don't have a printer connected as the one I was using died and I haven't set up another printer.

/var/log/Xorg.0.log contains messages "Uninitialized screen referenced in layout!"

Should I run /lib/svc/bin/restore_repository and then "-seed-" ?  I've rebooted the system so many times that if the repository is corrupt, so are all the backups.  The manual suggest that be used only as a last resort.

I assume that SMF is here to stay, so I'd really like to get up to speed with it.

I'm using the Solaris 10 u9 manual set as Oracle doesn't provide the u8 set on their website.  I'm fairly certain that the u8 manuals are on the system, but they're not readily accessible.

Does anyone have any suggestions.  I'm quite baffled.

Reg