[OpenIndiana-discuss] after Installation, no X11?

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Wed Feb 24 21:48:12 UTC 2021

In regard to: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] after Installation, no X11?, Rolf...:

> Hi,
> yes, got it running. xdm login, twm as window manager. Fast and
> smart:)
>
> As I started up with a text console only, Andreas and Carsten
> on this list told me to do a pkg install mate_install and start
> the SMF-service for lightdm. With a little nvidia driver update
> all worked fine. Since I like fast minimalistik desktops that do
> not consume the compute power for windows decorations, I did:
> pkg install twm
> pkg install xdm
> copied th svc-lightdm method to svc-xdm, set it up for xdm, reseted
> the xdm-fmri as was installed alongside by pkg install xdm, pointed
> it to the freshly createt login-xdm. (guess I could have used the
> default anyway, it just starts xdm so:)

I'm glad you found a solution that works, but I think there might
have been an easier way that didn't involve messing with SMF at all.

Lightdm is capable of launching any "session" it knows about.  What
exactly a "session" is depends on the desktop environment, but for
the "xterm" failsafe, it's just an xterm.

Sessions are defined in a .desktop text file in /usr/share/xsessions/
The .desktop file format is documented here:

 	https://specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/

Using the 'mate.desktop' and 'xterm.desktop' as examples, someone
that knows TWM well could probably create a twm.desktop, drop it into
/usr/share/xesssions/, and then continue to use lightdm as the login
(rather than XDM), but get it to launch your twm session.

I know that Ubuntu and some other Linux distros that use lightdm have
a twm.desktop configured for their distro.  That might also serve as
a useful example.

Either way, if you know how to get twm to "launch" after X is already
running, it's probably a lot easier to just make it a selectable choice
from Lightdm than it is to create a different SMF.

Hope this helps,

Tim
Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure /
Division of Information Technology    /                701-231-1076 (Voice)