[OpenIndiana-discuss] Anyone running OI on VPS?

cretin1997 cretin1997 at protonmail.com
Thu Feb 25 15:47:29 UTC 2021

Do you run OI on VPS or dedicated server?

Does OI suitable to run on a VPS at all?

It seems normal cheap VPS plan of many host providers will be not enough. OI takes much more disk space than Linux because of Boot Environments. So it seems I will need to upgrade the storage plan. OI also needs more memory to work because of pkg so I will need more memory, too. This end up with a not cheap at all VPS whose resources (cores, memory, storage space) will be same same as my home PC.

If it's so, does a dedicate server should be more preferred?

But if it's the case, why someone consider running OI in the first place instead of Linux since Linux is a much cheaper option?

I'm talking about normal KVM host providers here.

I have no idea about the cloud (AWS, GCE, Azure,...) at all.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.