[OpenIndiana-discuss] Emacs-27.1 missing portable dumper file

Dieter Klünter dieter at dkluenter.de
Mon Jan 4 15:37:23 UTC 2021

rjhb at bb-c.de (Rainer J.H. Brandt) writes:

> Hi Dieter,
>
> you wrote:
>> rjhb at bb-c.de (Rainer J.H. Brandt) writes:
>>
>> > Hi,

>> > I built 27.1 under Solaris 11.3 today
>> > (Sorry, my OI build setup isn't ready yet)
>> > and it created this file:
>> >
>> > $BASEDIR/libexec/emacs/27.1/i386-pc-solaris2.11/emacs.pdmp
>> >
>> > Emacs still starts after removing this file, but it takes much longer,
>> > and lots of elisp files are processed during startup.
>> >
>> > Cheers, Rainer
>>
>> Today I have built Emacs from sources
>> (git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs.git)
>>
>> make install copied  the emacs binary to /usr/local/bin and emacs.pdmp
>> to /usr/local/lib/emacs/27.0.1/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/emacs.pdmp
>>
>> Knowing the path to  pdmp file, speeds up the start remarkably.
>>
>> You might try bootstrap-emacs form your build.
>
> Why?  I have no problem with emacs.pdmp and emacs starts quickly.
> I only described what happens after manual removal of the file
> because you asked whether someone could check if it is needed.
>
> Regards, Rainer

my bad,
i just complained about this warning.

Warning Warning!!!  Pure space overflow    !!!Warning Warning
(See the node Pure Storage in the Lisp manual for details.)

which lead to slow Gnus operation.
I just build my own Emacs-28.0.50 version, which solved the warning.

-Dieter

--
Dieter Klünter | Directory Service
http://sys4.de