[OpenIndiana-discuss] Merging OI + OmniOS? (And OpenZFS vs ZFS)

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 4 16:10:38 UTC 2021

On Monday, January 4, 2021, 5:00:08 PM GMT+2, Aurélien Larcher <aurelien.larcher at gmail.com> wrote:

>I am just a bit concerned that with the current model some things may
>diverge too much: last time I worked on updating Python 3.7 and 3.8 test
>suite results looked very different on OmniOS and OI.
>Also the merge commit strategy for the pkg5 repository makes it very
>difficult to follow history.

This is quite irrelevant to the discussion but since you mentioned Python may ask why
the Python's IDLE (Integrated Development and Learning Environment) is not working?
When running it I get:

$ idle3.7
** IDLE can't import Tkinter.
Your Python may not be configured for Tk. **

I think this is major problem since most simple GUI applications
use tkinter. And since there is no pygame or anything else, one can
do no GUI programming with Python. Am I missing something?

Regards,
Apostolos

Apostolos Syropoulos
Xanthi, Greece