[OpenIndiana-discuss] Tasks to focus on

Joshua M. Clulow josh at sysmgr.org
Fri Jan 8 02:53:29 UTC 2021

On Thu, 7 Jan 2021 at 18:26, Nelson H. F. Beebe <beebe at math.utah.edu> wrote:
> Those compilers can then bootstrap LLVM / Clang compilers. Absolutely
> EVERYTHING ELSE is contingent on having reliable and modern C and C++
> compilers (and also Ada, D, Java (gcc-6 and earlier only), Fortran,
> Objective C/C++, Pascal, ....).  Those can then build new gcc-go,
> Rust, awk / mawk / gawk, Javascript, pcc, Python, tcc, .... releases.
>
> Google Go was originally written in C, but two or three years ago, it
> was rewritten in Go, with a C-based bootstrap compiler used to get the
> process rolling.

You shouldn't need the old (Go ~1.4) C-based bootstrap compiler any
longer.  You can build an illumos/amd64 bootstrap archive of the Go
main branch on any platform that supports Go; e.g., Linux or Mac OS X
or any other illumos system.

Ideally everything you want to build with Go can be built with the
current latest official Go toolchain without patches.  We have a good
relationship with the Go project and can make fixes upstream as
problems arise, and I can likely help get patches pushed up there as
well.  If you need a prebuilt illumos toolchain to get started I have
put a few versions up at:

    https://illumos.org/downloads/

Cheers.

--