[OpenIndiana-discuss] Tasks to focus on

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 21:42:18 UTC 2021

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 10:57 PM Till Wegmueller <toasterson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hey Aurelian
>
> Nice to have you back!
>
> We had a Maintainer meetup yesterday aswell and I am still processing
> the notes. And translating to English. (we where all German)
>
> But in short:
> I will get myself a Physical host with Hetzner with a ton of RAM and CPU
> so we can dedicate some zones and VM's to OpenIndiana building packages.
> Olaf has been working on a revised Jenkins pipeline which fully
> automates PR builds and allows to push them into seperate repos for
> testing with others. So others can just use that repo for testing and
> don't need to build. We will implement that Capability there.

Great initiative!

> We also talked about making a rustup.mk which will use jmclulows rustup
> work to bootstrap a rust compiler to build rust software and rust itself.

I worked on the updating the component months ago so my recipe has become
obsolete since Joshua made illumos a first class rust citizen :)

> As we plan to eventually migrate our build and repository server onto
> that Hetzner machine, we can also look into rebuild then, as we will
> probably have to do one from scratch.

I will also set up a build zone on a file server which has fairly low
workload now (2 x 20 cores, 192GB RAM) to resume the gcc-10 builds.
There were only ~10 packages left to fix back then.

> PS. would you like to be invited to the Maintainer meetup? It's on the
> thirst Wednesday every month 19:00 PM Berlin timezone.

Count me in :)
Kind regards,

Aurelien

> -Till
>

> On 07.01.21 18:39, Aurélien Larcher wrote:
> > Hi,
> > since I have now more or less recovered from Covid I can be active to
> some
> > extent.
> >
> > Back in March I was working on:
> > - building oi-userland with GCC-10 (everything was built except ~10
> > packages).
> > - providing Python 3.8 and 3.9.
> > - migrating pkg5 to Python 3.7.
> > - updating Boost.
> > - updating Clang.
> > - updating Rust.
> > - updating libdrm to 2.4.100.
> > - bringing automated rebuild of oi-userland packages and dependencies in
> > order.
> >
> > However priorities should be set as I cannot dedicate too much time...
> >
> > - What do you think should be prioritized?
> > - Is anybody interested in picking up one of the tasks? I can assist and
> > provide some guidance.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Aurelien

---