[OpenIndiana-discuss] Will OpenIndiana switch to SquashFS?

Hung Nguyen Gia gh_origin at zohomail.com
Sat Jan 9 06:36:43 UTC 2021

Most Linux distributions now employing SquashFS for their live system so they are blazing fast even though being run from a slow USB 2.0 stick. I'm posting this mail on one of such live system. I found OpenIndiana is using another technology: https://ptribble.blogspot.com/2012/10/those-strange-zlib-files.html

Does this technology comparable to SquashFS? And if SquashFS is better, is there any plan to switch to SquashFS?

I found when I dd-ed the .usb image into my usb, it only fills a small extent of my storage space. How could I extend it to fit to all of my storage space? Could I make a partition from the unused space to store data?

Linux is too good at being a live system. The MX Live USB Creator handled all of this for me. I'm posting from a live MX Linux system. Nowadays, finding a live system not being a Linux distro is hard. So I really appreciate OpenIndiana.