[OpenIndiana-discuss] When this misery end?

Andreas Wacknitz A.Wacknitz at gmx.de
Sun Jan 10 15:05:26 UTC 2021

You misunderstood what we tried to tell you:
http://docs.openindiana.org/dev/userland/ is not only a description on
how to be able to contribute to oi-userland but also a receipt for
building complex software
which epiphany is an example for.

The machinery behind oi-userland is exactly there to minimize the work
on building software for OI Hipster. That you will be able to
participate on the
development of OI userland is just a side effect. Creating a package
suitable for an OS is also the standard. The times of locally running
"make install" are long gone,
except for those distribution where it is explicitly part of the base ideas.

Especially for a common library like libdazzle it is not uncommon to
have both, 32-bit and 64-bit versions, in order to provide them for who
and whatever needs it.

The OI Hipster is 64-bit only but that doesn't mean that all executables
are 64-bit, too. On the contrary we have some apps that are still 32-bit
only, eg. libreoffice.

Just because you don't understand a complex system at a glance doesn't
mean that it is "weird". It just tells you that you have to learn more.
You would have similar
problems on other OS's, too, especially when you try to work against
what is intended to support you in your work.

Andreas