[OpenIndiana-discuss] Comments on a Backup Server wrt SMART

Stephan Althaus Stephan.Althaus at Duedinghausen.eu
Tue Jan 12 06:46:06 UTC 2021

Hello all!

I am planning to set up a small server to send my snapshots to,
to get rid of plumbing HDDs via USB all the time and automate these things..

There will be 4-6 SATA HDDs (CMR) (the ones that i currently use via USB)
on a SAS Controller (cheapy LSI SAS2008 or the like) to build a ZFS Raid
Z2 or a stripe of mirrors.

But i am wondering, as I won't have S.M.A.R.T data with OI on these
disks (smartmon not imlemented for 'Solaris') ...

Ooes everybody here around use SAS (or SCSI) disks ??

Do you think SMART is relevant for my use case ??

Do you think i should use *BSD because of SMART ??

Comments are very welcome :-)

Greetings,

Stephan