[OpenIndiana-discuss] Microphone and pulseaudio

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Tue Jan 12 15:34:46 UTC 2021

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 03:10:03PM +0000, Tony Brian Albers wrote:
> I'm having issues getting an analogue (using a 3,5mm jack connector)
> microphone to work properly.

I've never tried a microphone so I'm of no help there.  Audio devices
usually have two inputs (line and microphone) and one output (line).
I wonder if it's listening on the wrong input?

> It shows up in the mate-volume-control window, but even when it's at
> 100% volume, there's no sound level indication. The mic works, because
> when I test it with
> $ cat </dev/audio >>/tmp/foo.au
> $ cat /tmp/foo.au >>/dev/audio

Pulseaudio is not involved here, since you are accessing raw devices.
You could use the audioplay command to replace the second command.
I'd expect the same result, but it's worth trying.

The volume on illumos-based systems is always quite low.