[OpenIndiana-discuss] Could you update your sysroot, jclulow?

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 13:23:31 UTC 2021

On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 11:15 AM Hung Nguyen Gia via openindiana-discuss <
openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:

> I wanted to use your sysroot here to build a cross compiler for OI from
> Linux:
>
> https://github.com/illumos/sysroot
>
> But it seemed you didn't include the C++ part. I couldn't find them. There
> is no C++ headers, e.g: cmath, iostream,... nor the C++ standard library
> itself.

Those are supplied by the toolchain, in our case usually gcc. And you would
normally
need to ensure that the versions in the sysroot are compatible (for
whatever definition of
compatible you're interested in) with the toolchain you're using.

> This sysroot is also a bit old, too.

A sysroot can be used for a variety of uses. This one is targetted at
building software on
a current host that will still run correctly on an older system. (This is
also the way that
Oracle built Java for Solaris, I believe, using a Solaris 10 sysroot on a
Solaris 11 build
system so that the resulting binaries will still run on Solaris 10.)

Generally I would expect anyone using a sysroot to have a pretty specific
target in mind.
It's not that hard to create, either simply copying an existing system that
has the bits you
want, or using packaging - pkg has the image-create functionality designed
for exactly
this purpose.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

-Peter Tribble