[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to replace failed rpool mirror disk?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sun Jan 17 16:56:58 UTC 2021

One of my root pool mirror disks (c5t1d0) on an Intel system failed
but it is currently booted using the other disk (c5t0d0).  This
happened to me many years before on the same system and I did
successfully replace the disk.

It seems that the notes I left for myself are incorrect or
insufficient.  It seems that the OpenIndiana Wiki is still down so I
can not refer to the information there.  I don't trust that
documentation from modern Solaris applies, and it seems to assume
knowledge that I don't have.

The only notes I left for myself is this:

"
To replace a failed mirror disk:

   1. 'format -e' and use the 'fdisk' option for whole disk.

   2. pfexec prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c3t0d0s2 | pfexec fmthard -s - /dev/rdsk/c3t1d0s2

      where /dev/rdsk/c3t0d0s2 is good partitioned disk and /dev/rdsk/c3t1d0s2
      is new disk.

   3. Use format to be sure that partition tables are ok.
"

When I enter the 'fdisk' program I am not sure of what to do.  At the
moment it says (without me doing anything, but I am unsure of the full
history of this disk):

"
              Total disk size is 60800 cylinders
              Cylinder size is 32130 (512 byte) blocks

                                                Cylinders
       Partition   Status    Type          Start   End   Length    %
       =========   ======    ============  =====   ===   ======   ===
           1       Active    Solaris2          1  60799    60799    100

SELECT ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
    1. Create a partition
    2. Specify the active partition
    3. Delete a partition
    4. Change between Solaris and Solaris2 Partition IDs
    5. Edit/View extended partitions
    6. Exit (update disk configuration and exit)
    7. Cancel (exit without updating disk configuration)
Enter Selection:
"

If I enter fdisk using the already formatted/in-use disk, it says

"
              Total disk size is 60800 cylinders
              Cylinder size is 32130 (512 byte) blocks

                                                Cylinders
       Partition   Status    Type          Start   End   Length    %
       =========   ======    ============  =====   ===   ======   ===
           1                 EFI               0  60800    60801    100
"

Can someone who is familiar with the steps appropriate for modern
OpenIndiana please share them with me, or refer me to useful
instructions on a site which is still up?

Thanks,

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn