[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to replace failed rpool mirror disk?

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Sun Jan 17 20:34:40 UTC 2021

On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 02:11:18PM -0600, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

I assume your replacement succeeded.

> So now (trusting that we should use modern documented methods rather than
> the antique methods described by the Wiki) I used
>
>   /sbin/bootadm install-bootloader
>
> and no errors were reported.  Adding the '-v' option also does not reveal
> significant issues and I see it referring to both disks.

I did that a year ago.  Here's my transcript:

    <root at qtpie># /sbin/bootadm install-bootloader -Mfv -P rpool
    be_do_installboot: device mirror-0
    be_do_installboot: device c5t0d0s0
      Command: "/usr/sbin/installboot -F -m -f //boot/pmbr //boot/gptzfsboot /dev/rdsk/c5t0d0s0"
      Output:
    bootblock written for /dev/rdsk/c5t0d0s0, 323 sectors starting at 1024 (abs 26112)
    stage1 written to slice 1 sector 0 (abs 12544)
    stage1 written to master boot sector
    be_do_installboot: device c5t1d0s0
      Command: "/usr/sbin/installboot -F -m -f //boot/pmbr //boot/gptzfsboot /dev/rdsk/c5t1d0s0"
      Output:
    bootblock written for /dev/rdsk/c5t1d0s0, 323 sectors starting at 1024 (abs 26112)
    stage1 written to slice 1 sector 0 (abs 12544)
    stage1 written to master boot sector

My root mirror looks like this:

        NAME          STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        rpool         ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-0    ONLINE       0     0     0
            c5t0d0s0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c5t1d0s0  ONLINE       0     0     0

> This is the
> relevant high-level description of the bootadm install-bootloader option:
>
>        This subcommand can be used to install, update, and repair the boot
>        loader on a ZFS pool intended for booting. When disks in the ZFS pool
>        used for booting the system have been replaced, one should run bootadm
>        install-bootloader to ensure that all disks in that pool have the
>        system boot loader installed.
>
> There are more details in the detail section, but perhaps I must assume that
> all is ok with the boot loader.  It is even possible that zfs arranged to
> install the boot loader on the disk automatically.

To be sure all is okay, try booting from one disk and then the other.