[OpenIndiana-discuss] what command is used to start MATE?

Chris oidev at bsdos.info
Tue Jan 19 20:21:26 UTC 2021

I'm attempting another go at getting a DE on OI on my
intel HD4000/i915 rig.
I performed a fresh (text) install. Followed by a
pkg install mate_install. Which dragged in some 426 packages,
and initiated a good number of services; several of which
returned a failure message. The last of which was
/system/upower
which instructed me to initiate
svcs -xv svc:/system/upower:default
which returned
Reason: Restarting too quickly
I'm going to pretend none of this is my problem for getting
MATE || X(org) to draw a desktop on my screen, and simply
perform a startx. In order to do that I'm going to need the
correct command to initiate the mate DE.
Guessing; it's mate-wm or mate-session
But I don't actually know. So could someone please inform me?

Thanks

P.S.
In an effort to reduce variables I will *not* be enabling/starting
(x|g)dm to do this.

Thanks again!

--Chris