[OpenIndiana-discuss] what command is used to start MATE?

Chris oidev at bsdos.info
Tue Jan 19 21:35:31 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-19 13:15, Stephan Althaus wrote:
> On 01/19/21 21:21, Chris wrote:
>> I'm attempting another go at getting a DE on OI on my
>> intel HD4000/i915 rig.
>> I performed a fresh (text) install. Followed by a
>> pkg install mate_install. Which dragged in some 426 packages,
>> and initiated a good number of services; several of which
>> returned a failure message. The last of which was
>> /system/upower
>> which instructed me to initiate
>> svcs -xv svc:/system/upower:default
>> which returned
>> Reason: Restarting too quickly
>> I'm going to pretend none of this is my problem for getting
>> MATE || X(org) to draw a desktop on my screen, and simply
>> perform a startx. In order to do that I'm going to need the
>> correct command to initiate the mate DE.
>> Guessing; it's mate-wm or mate-session
>> But I don't actually know. So could someone please inform me?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> P.S.
>> In an effort to reduce variables I will *not* be enabling/starting
>> (x|g)dm to do this.
>>
>> Thanks again!
>>
>> --Chris
>>
> Helloa
>
> Being in your case i usually i start X,
> put it to background  then bg   - or change the console (vt)
> and do
> DISPLAY=:0 marco
>
> Hope this helps..
Thanks for the reply, Stephan.
I was just going to respond indicating that I was successful.
Here's what was required:
NOTE
using the default method failed for me on my last attempt. Even
after many attempts (with help from others) to get it going.

That said;
On a core i5 3xxx I had to perform the following:
Install via text install
followed by
As regular user, su to root
pkg install mate_install
create /etx/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver-intel.conf:
Section "Device"
	Option	"DRI"	"True"
	Identifier	"Card0"
	Driver		"nvidia"
	BusID		"PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection
NOTE (BusID was derived from previous attempt w/Xorg -configure)
svcadm enable dbus
svcadm disable xdm
svcadm disable gdm
svcadm disable lxdm
svcadm disable slimdm
TEST CONFIG/XORG:
Xorg -retro -config /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver-intel.conf
WORKS! grid background && mouse moves
DOESN'T WORK: CTRL+ALT+F1 or CTRL+ATL+BKSP to get to initiating screen
had to tap power button to shut down :-(
After reboot:
As regular user, su to root
echo "exec /usr/bin/mate-session">~/.xinitrc
startx
All GOOD! Mate starts as expected/intended

NOTE I was NOT able to perform any of this as the user added
during install, as that user does NOT have access (can't touch) the
Intel/X drm driver -- permission denied, can't open...

That's it!

Thanks again for your reply, Stephan.
> Stephan

--Chris