[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS Error

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Fri Jan 22 22:59:37 UTC 2021

On January 22, 2021 7:24:30 PM UTC, Gaetano valboa <gaetval at gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>i have a usb ssd and i installed hipster 2020.4.But after three starts
>it gives me this error: ZFS: i / o error - all block copies unavailable
>ZFS: can't read MOS of pool rpool ZFS: can't find pool by guid Can't
>find / boot / zfsloader. Can you help me solve the startup problem.

Is it plugged into the same usb slot? did any other devices come, go or change (e.g. on/off or storage device mode in bios)?

This sounds a bit like the device path change that rpools don't like, but I'm afraid it is not that (but rather a corruption e.g. due to lying hardware - about flushes or write order; USB makers often take shortcuts)... still, better rule out easier issues first.

I've also had drives that corrupted their partitioning tables somehow, on various systems, but creating a new table (without any further formatting) recovered that. And ZFS has enough label copies two and two) that it finds some to revive itself if you get partition sizes right.

Jim

--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Android