[OpenIndiana-discuss] Illumos UFS vs FreeBSD UFS?

Chris oidev at bsdos.info
Sat Jan 23 07:17:09 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-22 22:58, Hung Nguyen Gia via openindiana-discuss wrote:
> Are they compatible? Could I use UFS for data exchange purpose?
>
> UFS is available on all BSDs, including one doesn't support ZFS. So it's a
> better
> portable FS than ZFS.
>
> But I'm a bit pessimistic, because each BSD's UFS is different to the other.
> e.g:
> FreeBSD's UFS2 doesn't mountable under DragonflyBSD, which only supports
> UFS1.
FWIW Dragonfly was forked to show off the hammer filesystem he created. As
such,
not much interest in keeping ffs in sync.
Truth is; ffs was created by BSD. Anyway. I'm betting the differences, if
any, are
minimal. It would be trivial to experiment on a couple USB sticks if you
don't have
a couple spare platters.

Good question. Glad you brought it up.

> So I don't expect much.
>
> BTW, our UFS is UFS2 or UFS1 or something else?
_technically_ it's ffs v ffs2. Hope that helps. :-)

> Please let me know. Thanks.

--Chris
--
~10yrs a FreeBSD maintainer of ~160 ports
~40yrs of UNIX