[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to get a usable console on OI?

Predrag Zecevic predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com
Mon Jan 25 09:28:00 UTC 2021

Hi Volker

On 25.01.2021 10:08, Volker A. Brandt wrote:
> Hi Predrag!
>

>>> @Chris: Do try to set console resolution to 8 bit and see if it improves
>>> things for you.  You need to create the directory /boot/conf.d if it
>>> doesn't already exist, and add the following
>>>
>>>     loader_resolution=1280x1024x8
>>>     boot_resolution=1280x1024x8
>>>     tem.fg_color="green"
>>>
>>> to a file (the name is your choice).  Adapt the resolution to your box.
>>> Of course the last line may not be to your taste ;-)
> [...]
>> are instructions above (regarding /boot/conf.d) described somewhere?
>
> Good question.  On my OmniOS r151036 system, there are loader(5),
> loader.conf(4), and loader.4th(5).  The variables are not explained,
> however.  I don't have an OI system with a VGA console to test here,
> only serial console.
My OI hipster also have those man pages available (identical to OmniOS
ones -- no description of variables)

> Of course you can always drop to the loader prompt and list all
> defined variables. :-)
Yes, that is true, IF I could get to office and work from there to see....

I am using NVIDIA driver 460.27.04 (from
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/unix/solaris-display-archive/)
instead of bit older one present in OI.

My card is "NVIDIA Corporation GK208B [GeForce GT 730]" (from "pfexec
scanpci" output) and I have 2 monitors attached to it. And I have same
slow console output problem like Chris.

I was looking everywhere for solution, and this one is new for me, so I
will give it a try - but as I said: have to wait to be back into office
to test.

>> Did you made typo: "tem.fg_color" instead of "term.fg_color" ?
>
> No, "tem" is correct.  I think it stands for "terminal emulator".
Thanks

> Regards -- Volker

Best regards

--
Predrag Zečević
Technical Support Analyst

tel: +49 - 6196 - 95058 - 15
mob: +49 - 174 - 3109288
fax: +49 - 6196 - 95058 - 94
e-mail: predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com

headquarter: 2e Systems GmbH, Koenigsteiner Str. 107, 65812 Bad Soden am
Taunus, Germany
registration: Amtsgericht Koenigstein (Germany), HRB 7303
managing director: Phil Douglas

http://www.2e-systems.com/ - Making your business fly!