[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to get a usable console on OI?

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Mon Jan 25 23:16:52 UTC 2021

Chris writes:
> On 2021-01-25 00:42, vab at bb-c.de wrote:
[...]
> > @Chris: Do try to set console resolution to 8 bit and see if it improves
> > things for you.  You need to create the directory /boot/conf.d if it
> > doesn't already exist, and add the following
> >
> >   loader_resolution=1280x1024x8
> >   boot_resolution=1280x1024x8
> Thanks for your reply, Volker!
> I dumped the above 2 lines to /boot/loader.conf (actually 1920x1200)
> but they were ignored.

Not sure if they would work there.  The tried and true way is to create
/boot/conf.d and put those lines into /boot/conf.d/loader-args (that's
the name I use).

For completeness, I also have /boot/conf.d/boot-args which contains

  boot-args=-v

Cheers -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt        Consulting and Support for Solaris-based Systems
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"