[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to get a usable console on OI?

Predrag Zecevic predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com
Tue Jan 26 08:20:56 UTC 2021

On 25.01.2021 21:29, Chris wrote:
> On 2021-01-25 00:42, vab at bb-c.de wrote:
>> Joshua M. Clulow via openindiana-discuss writes:
>>>
>>> Based on that, I don't imagine trying to drop the resolution is really
>>> going to help.
>>
>> I can only relate my experience from OmniOS which also uses the BSD
>> loader.  Going from the default (24 bit color) to 8 bit via loader
>> configuration parameters improved console speed dramatically.
>>
>> There were some palette bugs in 8 bit mode which Toomas Soome has all
>> fixed now.
>>
>> @Chris: Do try to set console resolution to 8 bit and see if it improves
>> things for you.  You need to create the directory /boot/conf.d if it
>> doesn't already exist, and add the following
>>
>>   loader_resolution=1280x1024x8
>>   boot_resolution=1280x1024x8
> Thanks for your reply, Volker!
> I dumped the above 2 lines to /boot/loader.conf (actually 1920x1200)
> but they were ignored.

Hi Chris,

I have added those lines into /boot/conf.d/console.conf file (that is
name I use) and those are read (as well as tem.fg_color one). It seems
that there is some speed up on console output (tested with OI
installation on OLD PC). I have also found:

loader_resolution=off
boot_resolution=off

as options (and looks like the is no difference comparing to resolution
set in my case). See
https://illumos.topicbox.com/groups/omnios-discuss/T0e829e56939b04f9-M5497b623e0dd6508fa7b0f23/omnios-discuss-supermicro-a2sdi-h-tf

>>   tem.fg_color="green"
>>
>> to a file (the name is your choice).  Adapt the resolution to your box.
>> Of course the last line may not be to your taste ;-)
> Thanks for the info. I didn't realize (some of) loader had been imported
> from recent(ish) BSD.
>

>> Regards -- Volker
>
> --Chris

Regards and thank you all for testing and pointing to proper direction
re configuration

--
Predrag Zečević
Technical Support Analyst

tel: +49 - 6196 - 95058 - 15
mob: +49 - 174 - 3109288
fax: +49 - 6196 - 95058 - 94
e-mail: predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com

headquarter: 2e Systems GmbH, Koenigsteiner Str. 107, 65812 Bad Soden am
Taunus, Germany
registration: Amtsgericht Koenigstein (Germany), HRB 7303
managing director: Phil Douglas

http://www.2e-systems.com/ - Making your business fly!