[OpenIndiana-discuss] A dumb idea

Chris oidev at bsdos.info
Fri Jan 29 05:58:46 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-28 19:50, Hung Nguyen Gia via openindiana-discuss wrote:
> What about just import the FreeBSD Ports system and like DragonflyBSD uses
> transformations scripts (https://github.com/DragonFlyBSD/DeltaPorts) to
> transform
> it into illumos-ports something like this
> (https://github.com/DragonFlyBSD/DPorts)
> and enjoying the large amount of software we will never able to port by our
> own
> with little effort?
>
> Yes, FreeBSD and DragonflyBSD share more in common than FreeBSD and Illumos.
>
> But people have done this for MacPorts anyway.
>
> We can even patch the illumos-ports to output IPS packages instead of
> FreeBSD's pkg.
>
> This doesn't mean to dump our current oi-userland. illumos-ports and
> oi-userland
> could co-exist.
>
> I know it sounds dumb but let's just give it a thought experiment and
> imagine.
>
> BTW, the case between IPS pkg and FreeBSD pkg is where the copycat get it
> better
> than the original.
>
> Yes, FreeBSD pkg is a clone of IPS pkg, for FreeBSD.
>
> But they didn't use Python and since their OS still has to installed on VPS
> with
> little RAM so they can't make the ZFS assumption like us, so FreeBSD pkg
> doesn't
> depend on ZFS, it works just fine with UFS.
>
> IMHO, FreeBSD is simpler and has better performance than IPS pkg.
>
> Yet it supports the almost the same features. It could operate on FreeBSD
> 'jail',
> too. Just like IPS pkg could operate on 'zones'.
>
> IPS pkg is overly complicated and a resource hog with poor performance.
>
> Unfortunately, we pretty much have to stick with it, for the sake of
> compatibility.
While coming from FreeBSD makes me a bit biased. I think it's a good thing
to think/talk about. But be warned; FreeBSD pkg(8) comes with it's own set of
complications. Not something OI would want to inherit. fe; if you build your
packages/applications from ports (source). You can NOT use package AT ALL.
Conversely; if you install your applications from pkg(8). You can NOT build
additional applications from ports/source. They are mutually incompatible.
Something to think about. :-)

--Chris

--
~10yrs a FreeBSD maintainer of ~160 ports
~40yrs of UNIX